wpid arrival view - #MicroAdventure

Friday started off as any normal day in Lanzarote but it would end in a #MicroAdventure.

The day went smoothly apart from feeling odd at the Sioree, there’s not a lot you can do when people are eating lunch. Although next week I have a plan to spice it up. I finished at 4pm and headed to my apartment, I’ve been having regular siestas and then not sleeping well at night, no wonder. Today was no different I slept until 6pm and couldn’t decide whether to go to the Fiesta of the white night in Teguise, it was the 3rd year it had been running and was supposed to be the biggest party on the island, only problem was it would cost me €20 in a taxi, I would then be buying food and drink plus another €20 to get back. I couldn’t decide but didn’t want to hang around the apartment, so I decided to load up my bike and set off North with the plan of returning on Saturday.

wpid-snacks.jpgI went to the spar supermarket across the road and bought some snacks, meat, cheese a beer and some bread, threw it all in a back pack and headed out on the bike. It was 8pm before I left but the sun was still up. Although I had to cycle into the wind I headed for the volcano Corona, I’d cycled there before and as I wasn’t sure where I would be sleeping I went to look for a suitable spot. The Corona volcano is 232m above sea level and would have great views, it’s a very old volcano around 5 thousand years and over looks Costa Teguise. The path to the top look steeper than I imagined so I changed my plan to head along the coast out of the resort passed a village called Los Ancones

wpid-morning-seaview.jpgCoasting down from the Corona volcano was fun I pedaled as fast as I could in top gear, so must have hit the 30mph barrier with ease, however on the last turn down the head wind was so strong I had to drop a few gears and pedal downhill. It wasn’t long before I was off tarmac and onto a gravel road heading out to Los Ancones, the sea was crashing against the rocks and the white houses stood out against the black volcanic rock. The path headed up hill for around a mile before reaching the village. Los Ancones is about half a dozen holiday homes at the North end of Costa Teguise, there was some allotments close to the houses and a sand path behind the wall at the end of the village, I headed out into the volcanic wilderness.

wpid-volcano-view.jpgThere was no-one in sight and I started to look for a suitable spot to bed down and try out my new, although cheap sleeping bag and mat. The wind was  strong blowing North, North East, I saw a hill on the edge of the cliff which looked to be sheltered. I picked up my bike and carried it over the rocks and down the south side of the hill. Around 2 meters from the cliff edge was a spot I could use. I spent ten minutes clearing away some rocks and lay my sleeping mat down on a slight incline towards the sea. I knew I had to get in my sleeping bag warm otherwise I would be cold all night so after laying my bike down close to me I popped my windproof jacket on, took my shoes off and got into the sleeping bag, I was as warm as toast.

I looked around to check I was well hidden, I wasn’t but the chances of anyone disturbing me was minimal. I was more concerned about animals than people. I emptied my bag and sat watching the sky go dark as I ate my little picnic. My mind started to wander and as I spotted my first star in the night sky I hadn’t a care in the world. I lay there staring at the stars for at least an hour, the wind was quite strong and a little noisy but when I lay down it seemed to go still, so I’d picked a good spot.

wpid-screenshot_2015-07-04-10-47-11.pngI must have dozed off for a few minutes as the next time I looked up there were millions and millions of stars, I tried to figure out where Polaris was but couldn’t so got my compass app out. The North part of the sky was blocked by clouds and quite a few clouds were building on the horizon. My mind started to work over time, what if it rained, wild dogs there might be wild dogs, ants, lizards, rabbits all became a problem. I decided they would be more scared of me than I was of them, well nearly.

I could hear what I thought were dolphins, however it turned out to be sea birds chattering to each other before bed. A sea-bird flew past quite close and I jumped out of my skin, my mind started racing again for a while I thought Bats!

wpid-tide.jpgThe wind picked up and I could feel it through the sleeping bag, so I knew I might be a bit cold and thought about what kit I would need that’s light, small and warm. I decided a single quilt cover would be good as a liner for the sleeping bag and a 100ltr garden sack as a bivi bag, just in case of rain, I had neither but would be okay for one night. I fell asleep in the relative calm of my volcanic rock formation which was blocking most of the wind, I even piled up some rocks along the side of my legs to stop the wind, this failed but passed some time.

I woke shortly after and thought the sun was coming up, it wasn’t it was the full moon coming over the horizon, it was incredible. There was absolutely no light pollution so the moon looked amazing. I snuggled into my sleeping bag wrapping it around my neck, I knew it wasn’t a good idea to put my head in the sleeping bag as the condensation from your breath makes it damp, so I tucked it into the top of my jacket put my bag under my head and went to sleep. I woke several times throughout the night but when I woke at 6am I was remarkably refreshed and had a fairly comfy nights sleep.

wpid-daybreak.jpgI sat for an hour watching the horizon and the sun rise and I felt the warmth of the sun almost straight away. It was still windy so I napped until 07:30am before packing up and heading home. I definitely made the right decision of having my own #microadventure and will be planning my next one real soon.